Shampoo Bar - Ylang Ylang & Lime
Solid shampoo bar
Shampoo bars are a great and convenient way to wash your hair and body. Okay, we admit that when we first came across thie idea we were a bit sceptical. Could a soap bar really work on hair as well? But, once we tried it, we were convinced. The way we approached the need to wash both hair and skin was to add extra castor oil and glycerine than our normal soaps – and the result is a bar that lathers richly and rinses to a squeak without stripping your scalp's natural oils. It's very popular with men as it's so unfussy and because it's also brilliant for shaving. It's less bulky for travelling and just plain handy for showers and of course, it's a way to avoid plastic in your daily routine and we're all looking for ways to do that aren't we?
How to use: Run the shampoo bar over your head in one direction (front to back), so as to avoid causing unnecessary knots. Once you have a good amount of shampoo on top of your head, massage it into your scalp with your fingers. Rinse with water until ALL the shampoo is out and you're good to go. Be brave, try it, if not for the plastic free element to the product, just for the ease of use, we reckon you'll become a staunch solid shampoo fan, too.
Hints and ideas to help you get used to a brand new way to wash your hair:
There is a huge difference between how traditional shampoos work and how solid shampoo bars work - and your hair notices it to start with, this is often referred to as "the purge". When you first switch, you may notice that your hair or scalp becomes dry or a bit oily or both, your hair might feel waxy or heavy or just strange, not itself. Don't panic, this is quite normal, your hair and scalp need to adjust to the new way of being cleaned and in a very short time, normally a week, your sebum production balances. It's at this point you'll notice your hair is suddenly softer, more manageable and stays cleaner for longer. Welcome to your New Normal. If you've experienced dandruff in the past, this often clears altogether.
Things that might help you get through this transition:
- Use a very mild apple cider vinegar rinse before your conditioner if you use one, this will help smooth down the hair shaft, protect it and give it some shine (I use half a cup of ACV to roughly a litre of water plus a drop of my favourite essential oil, which is a weaker solution than you might see elsewhere online. I use two jugs for pouring over my head, I put the mixture in one jug, rinse my hair and catch the run off and rinse again - using two jugs and reusing the water means you can use a much weaker ACV rinse and you won't smell like a chip shop when you're done, promise!).
- Rinse more thoroughly than you've been used to for at least a fortnight - if you're super brave, do one last rinse with cool water, it helps, but this isn't always easy in the depths of winter.
- Don't wash every day if you can, give your hair a couple of days in between washes to allow it time to readjust.
- Brushing your hair morning and night from root to tip will help to redistribute your hair's own natural oil.
- If you're struggling with excess oil, try sprinkling a very small amount of cornstarch on your scalp and thoroughly brushing your hair to help you avoid overwashing.
- If you're used to using a lot of products for styling to control frizz, consider using a little bit of conditioner as a leave in product, that's really useful for weighing hair down and stopping fly aways.
110g shipping weight.
Ingredients in descending order of proportion. Click an ingredient to find out more.
- Coconut Oil (Cocos Nucifera)
Coconut Oil (Cocos Nucifera)
A white, solid oil with a low melting point, Coconut oil is pressed from the milled kernels of coconuts and has superb moisturising and protective properties.
- Rapeseed Oil (Brassica Campestris)
Rapeseed Oil (Brassica Campestris)
High in essential fatty acids, rapeseed is a naturally emollient oil suitable for all skin types.
- Castor Oil (Ricinus Communis)
Castor Oil (Ricinus Communis)
Pressed from the seeds of the castor oil plant, this is an extremely rich, healing oil, which makes it ideal for skin balms and lip products.
- Olive Oil (Olea Europa)
Olive Oil (Olea Europa)
We use deep green, extra virgin, cold-pressed olive oil for its superb and robust emollient (softening) action on particularly dry skin.
- Cocoa Butter (Theobrama Cacao)
Cocoa Butter (Theobrama Cacao)
This solid, crumbly oil is extracted from the seeds of the cocoa plant and has a wonderfully sweet, chocolatey aroma.
- Grapeseed Oil (Vitis Vinifera)
Grapeseed Oil (Vitis Vinifera)
Pressed from grape pips, this pale green oil is packed with vitamins, minerals and linoleic acid, and absorbs brilliantly.
- Glycerine (Vegetable Glycerine)
Glycerine (Vegetable Glycerine)
A sugar alcohol that comes in soluble liquid form, added to creams and balms to help encourage a glossy texture and smoothness.
- Lime Essential Oil (Citrus Aurantifolia)
Lime Essential Oil (Citrus Aurantifolia)
Oil is extracted from the peel of the fruit. Uplifting and refreshing, lime has very similar qualities to lemon essential oil.
- Ylang Ylang Essential Oil (Cananga Odorata)
Ylang Ylang Essential Oil (Cananga Odorata)
Ylang ylang oil is made from a steam or water distillation of the flower heads.
It has a very light smell - floral and sweet, which makes it quite calming.
- Mineral Clays (Kaolinite)
Mineral Clays (Kaolinite)
Often used to colour soaps, masks and make-up.
- Coconut Oil (Cocos Nucifera)
Product Testimonials Shampoo Bar - Ylang Ylang & Lime
I love this hair and body bar. It lathers up really well, it smells great and it leaves my hair feeling very soft and shiny. Will definitely be ordering again! PS thank you for sending my recent order in a recycled box!
I'm really pleased to have finally found shampoo without plastic packaging. This product smells great and works really.
I have been using these for a while now and love them. The best shampoo bar I've used and to be able to use as a soap too is great.
I wasn't sure if this would work on hair as well as you said it would, but it lathered up beautifully and my hair was left amazingly clean and soft. Fabulous! Really quick and easy - I'm going to buy the lemongrass one next!
I’m SO glad I ditched conventional bottled shampoo & switched to these bars. I did it to be more plastic free but the side effect has been softer, healthier hair (after a 3 week heavy weird feeling transition period) and I now only wash it twice a week (with normal shampoo i needed to wash every other day) also I only need to use conditioner occasionally now as my hairs natural oils seem to do the job. I’d never go back, I even take my bar to the hairdressers when I go for a cut!
That's great Abby, so glad you're happy with it (and yes, that transition period can be a bit of a trial, but it's worth it, isn't it?)! - The Pure Nuff Stuff Team
Used this on my hair and body. My scalp was highly irritated after using this and unsure why. Smells great and lathers well but for me only useful as a soap. Bit disappointed really.
I have the Ylang Ylang solid shampoo, it smells lovely and is fine as soap but I'm still not won over on it as a shampoo. I've always used a different brand of bar which has been great but disappointingly this bar does leave my hair dull and waxy (exactly as the information suggests it might) - yes, it makes my hair look thicker but my locks have lost their shine. My eco-warrior self is sticking with it at the moment (isolating has its pluses) and I'll see if my hair adjusts. Hubby uses it for hair and body no probs.
Thanks for that Alison, it's hard to create something that suits everyone, but this is a prodict that it's often worth gving some time - it takes some people a while before that "heaviness" goes, then all of a sudden they no longer need conditioner. Keep us posted on how you get on, won't you? - The Pure Nuff Stuff Team
Fantastic. I've got dry menopausal hair. Nothing - not even co-wash conditioners helped. I now use this bar followed by a teaspoon of olive oil as a conditioner and it works beautifully. Pleased to be liberated from artificial gunk and plastic!
*stands on chair and applauds* So pleased you like it Kulvinder, that's great news! - The Pure Nuff Stuff Team